Oh China.

This isn't the first time I have rolled my eyes and titled my blog post "Oh China".  There are more than a handful of situations where I have had to bite my tongue and just roll my eyes to keep my frustration in. Just earlier, I waited my entire lunch break in a line at the bank to deposit my health insurance reimbursement check. It's 800HKD, which is not much but better than nothing! Once I got to the counter, the teller has no idea what to do with it. She chats with her supervisor who then tells me that I have to get it sent out to Standard Charter bank in Hong Kong then delivered back in the form of a Bank of China check. This process will take a month and half. Oh wait, there's more, I have to pay for the bank to send it out and receive it back. *Major eye roll*. I left the bank wanting to cry and scream with no resolution except to find some lunch to take back to my desk. Banking should be easy, why does this country subject its citizens to such hassle! I miss Bank of America.

Oh China.


There is more to this story. I've been having daily nosebleeds alongside major migraines, all of which I should go see a doctor for. I did, but disregarded the whole insurance bit because I first pay out of pocket, then 2 months later, the health insurance gives me a check, which is then followed by the above situation! What's the point of even having this health insurance, let alone a health insurance that doesn't even cover the consultation fee? The fee to see a doctor is 500RMB minimum for foreigners, then on top of that they charge hundreds for medication you don't need, and my insurance only covers 800HKD...which doesn't cover the hundreds for medication I don't need.

Oh China.

Not only did I spend an hour in a bank and accomplish nothing. I pass by my favorite sandwich shop and order my chicken laffa roll, NO RAISINS. She repeats no raisins, 不要葡萄干!When I get back to my office, what do I get? My chicken laffa roll with maybe 50+ raisins. ERG.

Oh China.

I also had the opportunity to meet my headhunter who landed me my current job so I could tell her how disappointed I am with the outcome. My job description had not matched up with anything she had told me, but then she has the audacity to ask me, "can you stay until the end of February? We guaranteed your company 3 months of your time". In all honesty, I think she gets paid at the end of my probation period. Well, its her fault for making this position sound 180 degrees different than it actually is. She even acted "shocked" when I told her what I am doing at work. Seriously, what type of marketing executive does finance and logistics/operations as the MAIN job objectives.

Oh China, I am almost over your inefficient ways and your goal to make me struggle.

 Thank you Liz Lemon, for the best example of an eye-roll.

2 Response to "Oh China."

  1. an ABC says:
    February 23, 2011 at 2:49 AM

    China seems to love redtape. I remember when I was getting my visa for Expo, what should have just been a visa conversion suddenly became a "fill out this form, sorry we gave you the wrong form. Cancel your expert's certificate before canceling your residence's permit, but they just moved offices yesterday so wait a week before trying again. Now get a chopped letter from your work confirming you are no longer working there. Oh, it's Spring Festival now SO NO ONE IN THE WHOLE COUNTRY IS WORKING! Festival over; fill out this form. Oops, wrong form again. Actually, we don't know what we're doing so we have to ask the supervisor. Ok, it's this form and make copies of every document plus your police registration and come down to the Expo Bureau to give it to us. Pick up passport and new visa in person clear across town from your apartment. That will be 900RMB. Cash."

    yes, Oh China. But as frustrating as it gets to be, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right? As I like to point out, as tough as things get, at least you're not living in North Korea.

  2. Cassie Chao says:
    February 23, 2011 at 2:56 AM

    My question is: why does it even have to get close to killing me? It's sad that we even have to use that phrase about some random daily routine. The Chinese just really like to make things complicated for themselves, which in turn makes everyone an angry, crazy person. Well considering I can't even get into North Korea (on my own), I wouldn't really ever be worrying about health insurance, let alone banking.

Post a Comment