Shanghai, 381 days later.

July 16, 2010
I have arrived at my final destination, Shanghai. I had been anxiously awaiting this moment for 380 days (since the day I left - June 1st, 2009) and I am finally here. Today, I was greeted with rolling thunderstorms and flooded sidewalks, but still made the trek to the world expo. I should've waited until tomorrow when the weather is technically "clearer", but whatever - hindsight 20/20. I walked around the expo site with my shoes completely soaked, not from the direct rain, but from the puddles - more like ponds - forming on the uneven pavement. Aside from the misery in my shoes, I was pretty content with the expo.

USA PAVILION
Before departing for China, I had heard several "complaints" or discontent remarks about the expo, especially about the USA Pavilion. I have heard that it is a "disappointment" and that the government should revoke their law preventing government funding for the pavilion. Here's my two cents... I'm happy with what the USAP has produced. In my honest opinion, the USAP has done well for themselves considering their was no government financial assistance. They also followed the theme of "Better City, Better Life" targeting urban sustainability. Sure many people could consider the short films somewhat corny, in a way I understand, but the underlying message that was broadcasted to the visitors is that with a little compassion for the environment, we can really make a difference. Tis is true.

Also, the concept of breaking the USAP into different "acts" assists with the flow of visitors. They move hundreds of people from one room to another, allowing a new group of visitors into the pavilion every 10 minutes or so. I have a feeling that the only reason why Saudi Arabia's line is on average a 5 hour wait is because one of the rooms plays a 30 minute film, which automatically deters the the flow of traffic. I will post some photos and a video soon about the Saudi Arabia line...it's hilarious- Chinese military is involved in the procession of the visitors.

Perhaps I would not wait 2 hours in line for the USA Pavilion, but fortunately I did not have to. This is what you get when you're VIP, just kidding - well not really. As an SA -student ambassador- we receive fast lane access to all the pavilions (or most) and do not have to wait in line unless the VIP line is long. Today, I called up to USAP office and spoke with the coordinator, who helped get my family into the pavilion without having to wait.

Inside the pavilion I met two ambassadors who really enjoyed their experience thus far, another contradiction to the general assumption. I really do believe this experience is what you make of it. If you go into the ambassadorship banking on someone else's negative opinion, you definitely won't enjoy yourself. Each person can create his/her own adventure, it is your own choice if you want to be miserable or not.

I had also read about foreigners disgruntled with the Chinese people. All i can say to them is to be more patient in trying to understand why people are the way they are. There is nothing you can do to stop them from shoving each other around and making decisions to put their family members at the front of the line. It's a cultural difference that we can only acknowledge and accept. I find Shanghai very similar to New York City. After living in each city for half a year, I have come to realize that the sheer mass of people in a small space (aka heavy density) create a brashness and abrasive behavior in many individuals, including myself. When I lived in Shanghai, I expected the pushing and shoving, but when I moved to NYC I expected more people to be "civilized", oh how I was wrong! So, pre-judgments about types of people and cultures only shows inexperience and naivety - as it did in my case. Patience is truly a virtue. You never know... once you accept the way people are and see past what you consider 'flaws', they will often surprise and fascinate you. Give people a chance!

--
After the USAP, we visited Luxembourg, Lithuania, and the Pacific Oceanic pavilion - ones with moving lines. The weather was too unfavorable to have to wait in line for 2+ hours so we just wandered around. Before we knew it, we spent 5 hours just walking around in the rain! I will have to update you readers about each pavilion later- once I am able to get in!

Something that brightened my day:



Summary of today in a picture: Windy, rainy, wet shoes (not pictured). Yes, my face looked like this all day.


--
July 12-15
My remaining days in Yunnan were filled with more great food, including 过桥米线 (guo qiao mi xian) or "Over the bridge noodles", a Kunming speciality.



In Lijiang, we visited Snow Mountain (elevation 18,000 ft), Yak fields, a Naxi village, a Zhang Yi Mou production right in front of Snow Mountain.





In Kunming we re-visited the Stone Forest, a huge gorge with deep caves filled with stalagmites and stalactites, Dragon's gate, and "Dynamic Yunnan"- an amazing play depicting the history of Yunnan through certain tribes..




China never fails to impress me. Each time I visit, a city has transformed or evolved - whether for the better, I don't know, but I am still fascinated by this wondrous country full of history and mystery.

1 Response to "Shanghai, 381 days later."

  1. Anonymous Says:
    July 16, 2010 at 6:21 PM

    Woot! You're in Shanghai! Another leg of your whirlwind Asia tour.
    Are you scouting out gems and goody spots for when the rest of the SAs arrive? :) Looking forward to meeting you in person, and have fun!!

    P.S. I've started a blogspot blog for Shanghai too; Blogger still looks to be the most popular for blogging, even though I've had a Tumblr acct for awhile. Anyway, I'm at cocointransit.blogspot.com.

    Cheers!
    Jane Shi

Post a Comment